Monday, March 5, 2007

Sowing at Supercuts



"I just need a little trim on the top and the sides, leave the sideburns at their length. Thanks."

I go to the same Supercuts near my house because I know that there is always the chance I may get the same haircut stylist. This time, I got "Loan" - yep, that is how you pronounce it.

She is a wonderful lady. Family is from Vietnam, lived here for fifteen years. Two kids - boy and girl - 7, 8. A Husband whose favorite hairstyle is a moot point because apparently he doesn't have much hair left on his head. She was raised buddhist but people in Vietnam have all types of beliefs - Catholic even.

I asked her if she celebrated holidays here "Oh yes Christmas, Chinese New year - everything!" And yet she was raised Buddist - cool.
"What do you do?" She asked. "Oh, I am a pastor."
"A what?"
"A pastor - kinda like a priest but not..."

We talked a bit about what I did and I shared a 30 sec version of how I never planned on being one and yet, because I wanted to serve God in a different way, ended up becoming one.

Then, from the back of the salon, I see my previous hairstylist, Kensey so I blurt out "What's up Kensey?!"
(The other customer being attended to by "Ha"-another stylist-laughs at my apparent friendly and vocal hello.)

Kensey smiles and says to Loan, "Did you know he was at a photo shoot with Brad Pitt?"
Wow, nice memory Kensey... that was almost a year ago.

The banter continues, and finally my cut was almost done.



Above, my sweet "do" - compliments of LOAN.

By now, I had memorized all of the names of the employees at this Supercuts - Hung, Ha, Loan, LUAN and Kensey... and so I made a wager with them to know my name as well in the midst of all the other people that come in.

"OK, whoever remembers my name first when I come back in four weeks gets a free Coffee Bean on ME so get on it!"

They laughed and started saying my name out loud over and over to remember... I can't wait to go back and harass them some more.

I got up and paid - tipped LOAN nearly 100% of the actual cut [which isn't saying much] - knowing that I really appreciated her and the crew they have there.

I walked away and simply thanked God for them. I wrote down their names and just prayed a blessing for them: "Lord, thanks for these people. You love them. Help me to love them too and when the time is right, I would love to share with them the hope you offer to anyone in Christ."

NOW - I don't walk around everywhere I go making friends and making wagers for coffee but I want to be a blessing to people. I want to be a bright spot in their day for no other reason but because God adores and delights over them. He wants me to treat them above and beyond the norm - because this is His Way. Generous, gushing and ridiculously foolish blessing.

I can't wait to see them again for my next cut.

Who are you being generous and ridiculously foolish for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work at a Supercuts and I have to say that people like you are why I LOVE my job and stay at Supercuts. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I work at Supercuts too, in the Boston area and you need to know that people like you, make our jobs all worth while, our job is to make you smile, so when we have someone trying to make us smile, that makes our day. thanks and keeping doing the "job" your doing.