Sunday, June 10, 2007

I Got My first HOA Warning - SWEET!



Never has Jesus' words 'Love your neighbor' meant more to me than ever before. My wife and I are officially new home owners - coupled with the fact that it is in Orange County and on a pastor's salary, its a miracle in itself. At least until the next mortgage payment, we are here for God to use us. We want to be faithful and 'love our neighbors'.



Well - but how? and what if they don't want to be "loved on"?


What if they look at me as the annoying bubbly Christian guy, perfectly caricatured in "The Simpsons" - another Ned Flanders?


For some reason, I am more passionate about figuring this out than ever before because everything is so new. We live in a new community. There are no old guards of the neighborhood. We're all 'rookies' and most of us seem to be young couples and families.



So here are some things my wife and I are trying to do to LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS:
  1. I got a map of the community with all of the homes from the sales office. Every time we meet someone, we write it on the map.


  2. Prayer walks - My wife and I are starting to walk around the neighborhood a few nights a week and pray for God's blessing to be on our neighbors. Open up hearts to build relationships with us and others.


  3. We bought patio furiture to hang out outside drinking coffee or reading so we can say hi to people walking by.


  4. As we meet people, we ask them the basics... how do you like it here so far? Where are you from? Married, kids? Work? What made you buy here? Have you ever heard of the four spiritual laws ( just kidding - not yet! we'll get there!)


  5. I created a flyer with a brief description of my wife and I and our home number - I know its either great or the dorkiest thing ever - look I am trying OK? (see photo)


  6. I just met 'Ron' as he was walking by and before he took off, I had a flyer available to give him - he loved it surprsingly. He may need help moving in a King size bed.


  7. We are looking to find out who the christians are in the neighborhood and invite them all over sometime for some coffee and dessert to pray for our neighborhood and cast a vision to bless our neighbors in practical ways showing God's goodness.


  8. I bought a case of bibles from www.allbibles.com for .90 a piece for 50 NLT New Testaments that we will eventually give out to those who are interested after we build relationships.


  9. I am going to try to get a regular half court basketball game going as well - the court is just waiting to be used...


  10. That's it... Jesus says to Love our neighbors and Love God... this is the Greatest Commandment... we are trying to figure out how to do that where we live... how about you?

*The HOA warning explained - we only have one car in our two car garage (junk and stuff takes up the area where our second car should go) so we have parked ONE of our cars in our little pseudo driveway (4' x 8' of concrete, in which, if carefully parked upon, will only have the back right side of the car jutting into the street) - apparently causing dissension and uprisings from the HOA board. No worries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I hear you brother. My wife and I moved into Ladera Ranch area recently, gave our neighbor next door a well thought out letter, our phone numbers, offers to help them, a copy of the CD "The Invitation" and guess what? They've become less friendly, almost seeming to avoid eye contact with us now. And this is a couple who initially told us they used to go to Saddleback?

We're praying for them and for the right moment to get closer.

We've also found that we live smack dab in the middle of a the perfect American religious potpourri: one neighbor is Muslim, another Indian (we believe of eastern religious practices), several Jewish neighbors, and one Christian family who have welcomed us.

So maybe we should get a Pastor Erin PEACE package together for all of them? I am praying for God to give us opportunities to share and get to know them. We all seem to share the common denominator of children.

Recently, a horrific tragedy has rocked our neighboring Ladera community. The Coble family had all three of their children killed in an auto crash, yet the parents survived. They had 2 little girls, one little boy. Every tree in Ladera now as 2 pink and 1 blue ribbon wrapped around it.

There was even a biker ride this past Sat. for the Cobles, from Beach Fire Grill to Cook's motorcycle gathering place.

I'm hoping God will help us find our unique way to meet the Cobles and see how we can help.

Appreciate your prayers. We are praying for you too!

mamajoyCarol said...

Oh! Home Owners Association~

When we owned a condo in Cupertino (you were a cute little 18 month old), we learned so much about the nature of man through the rulings of the HOA.

Keep your sense of humor!
love, Mom

Melissa~ said...

I followed a link to your blog from Twitter after using the search term "Jesus" ...this post is so convicting for me. I really don't like my neighbors. I really don't.

I hide.

I know God is telling me to stop doing this, but I don't know how. I hate admitting this, but maybe by typing it out I will force myself to do something differently.

I guess it's more about me than them. I need to deal with my stuff.

I am probably not going to hit send on this.

*ugh*

yes i am.

Melissa~