Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Be Inviting before Sending an Evite


I just sent my first email invitation for my friend Eric and his wife to Easter Services at Saddleback.

Eric is on an incredible spiritual journey. Jewish culturally, atheist spiritually... but I think now he has moved convincingly to belief in God... OK, next step Yeshua.

He is intrigued by Jesus - so much so that I believe he has read more of the bible than many Christians I know.

So heck - why not check out Easter at Saddleback?

Which brings me to my point.
An email invitation is a great tool but hardly the main way to invite people to an Easter service.

I would never use the tool if I hadn't been building a relationship with Eric for the last few years. I first met him on a basketball court outside of my apartment. We have had plenty of conversations after years of playing basketball together. I cannot tell you how many times we have talked about Jesus over a gatorade after a game.

He even came to a few services at another church I was at before - he admits to being drawn to Jesus but when I press him to make a commitment to Christ - he hesitates. "Not there yet Erin".

OK, no worries. My friendship isn't based on his faith decision so I'll keep loving away...

Oh - and by the way - here is a reminder to come with me to Easter...

REFLECT: So as EASTER approaches, we may have people in our lives to EVITE but before we do, have we invited them into our lives first? Better yet, have they invited us into theirs?

1 comment:

jan@theviewfromher said...

But...can't I invite them to church and into YOUR life? :-)

This is a great point about inviting people to church, Kerr - first having a relationship in each other's lives.