Monday, December 11, 2006

God is Ridiculous

God is ridiculously generous.

Last week the Membership team kicked off our meeting by reflecting on God's ultimate Gift and what that meant for us - personally.


Simeon was there. He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying, "Lord, now I can die in peace! As you promised me,I have seen the Savior you have given to all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!" - Luke 2:28-32 (NLT)

Christmas is a great time to exercise generosity but without recognizing how much we have to be grateful for FIRST, our generosity "well" can run dry or impatient when an opportunity arises in a busy Target checkout line.

Here is what we brainstormed as Gifts We Received From Christ:
  • Salvation
  • Forgiveness
  • Hope
  • A Purpose for Living
  • A Home in Heaven
  • A Model to Live By
  • Freedom
  • Grace
  • Love
  • Access to God
  • Companionship
  • Direction for our Life
  • Health
  • A Community of Believers
  • A Family to Belong to
  • Anticipation
  • Expectancy
  • Healing
  • Faith
  • Fruit of the Spirit: Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Gentleness, Goodness, Self Control
  • Knowledge
  • Clarity
What about You?
  • These touch upon the very longings all humanity yearns for - Hope, Purpose, Forgiveness, Meaning, Truth.
  • Would you add anything?
  • Which one[s] connect with you right away?
  • Anyone in your life that might appreciate learning more about how your need is being met by Jesus?
Here were a few PRACTICAL ways to be generous this season...

Invite a neighbor to play Bocce Ball [extreme Bocce if you live in the snow]
Bake cookies for your neighbor
Introduce yourselves to a coworker you don't know very well - ask them to grab coffee just to hear their story - watch them light up
Give coffee gift certificates to people at toll booth or gate keepers
Visit the elderly and widowed
Allow someone to go ahead of you in traffic or a check out lane
Strike up warm up conversations with strangers - How ARE you really today? Listen closely shows you care.

WE DOUBLE DARE YOU: Be ridiculously generous, even in little ways!
  1. PICK ONE [or create your own] from the list.
  2. DO IT and
  3. POST the response here.
  4. GENEROSITY can be contagious... INSPIRE US.
So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time. - Galatians 6:9 (NLT)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I simply went in to Ralph's and asked the person helping me to make a sandwich at the deli. As he was making it, I noticed his name on his badge and asked him by name how his day was going so far. I listened intently and then asked how was Chrismas looking for him - hanging out with family, traveling? We talked a bit more and he asked me where I was from - I told him Saddleback. He hadn't heard of it - even though it was down the street! I asked him if there was one thing I could pray for him about this Christmas what would it be - he said that his two kids would choose do the right things. I said I would, thanked him, shok his hand and told him to have a great day [by name again]. I prayed for his kids right there as I walked out of the parking lot. I prayed for more opportunities to speak with him again when I get lunch there next time.

mamajoyCarol said...

When I worked in retail...for a good many years, I usually wore a name badge. Most people would ignore it, but those precious few exceptions would certainly get my attention when addressing me by name. A small, but important thing. Now retired, I try to remember to do this as a sign of God's respect and value of an individual.
Thanks, Erin, for the reminder.